Trip to DC

Saturday, April 5, 2008


So months ago, a bunch of friends agreed to go down to DC to run the National half marathon. Well, due to the requirement of a qualifying race and the effects of busy season on my training, I didn't end up running. Fortunately, I was still able to go down to DC with the group, including a couple of other friends that didn't run. It was a blast of a trip, so I thought I would share my adventure.


We were staying at two different hotels, so we dropped off the runners at one hotel and started out for our hotel. All I have to say is that DC is the most confusing city in the world with streets going every direction, roundabouts, and one way streets. We got lost for about an hour. All I have to say is thank goodness for the GPS on my blackberry.


Because of the late night and a bad night's sleep, we ended up sleeping through the race (sorry runners!). We just lounged around the hotel and had a nice breakfast waiting for the racers to get back and get ready before we headed out to tour DC.


We saw all of the hot spots that I hadn't seen the last time I was in DC. We saw the White House, Treasury building, the Washington monument, WWII memorial, Vietnam memorial, Lincoln memorial, and then the best of all: the cherry blossoms. We came at the perfect time! The cherry blossoms were in full bloom and the city was hosting the cherry blossom festival.


The cherry blossom festival has been something I have heard about for years, but didn't think I would ever see it. The blossoms were beautiful, excentuating all of the monuments and beauty of Washington DC. They were everywhere! It is something I am grateful I was able to see.


Also, while we were there, there was a kite festival. On the grounds around the Washington monument, there were thousands of people there flying kites. Some of them were kids with parents, while others came from across the world to share in this festival. There was one man from China that had built a dragon kite and came over to the festival to fly it. It was cool.


After we were tired, we ended up going to our friend Chad's house for the night. His family was such a great host. Overall, it was an amazing trip. The drive was even great with all of our friends in the car. Who doesn't love road trips!


1 comments:

Lorie said...

I love the pics!!! It looks like you had a great time. I'm totally jealous. I love DC!

 
Jason's Happenings - by Templates para novo blogger