Christmas in New York

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Christmas time is the best time to be in New York. Even though you miss out on all the neighborhood lights, there are holiday decorations throughout the city. The other day, I went to Macy’s to do a little shopping and found myself in a Christmas wonderland. The whole department store was decorated with Garland and large Christmas trees. They also have the Waterford Crystal New Year’s Eve Ball on display. It was actually fun to see. Then I went up to Rockefeller Center and saw the scaffolding around the giant tree as they were stringing it with lights.

In my own neighborhood, they have strung the trees lining Columbus Ave. with white Christmas lights. It is so much fun. Then as I come to work each day, I am greeted by holiday wreaths and a giant Christmas tree in my office lobby. It really makes it feel like Christmas.
Then on top of all the Christmas decorations, there are all of the fun holiday activities. One weekend, we decided to go ice skating in Bryant Park. It was a whole different experience to ice skate out in the open air. (I must add that New Yorkers have no idea what real ice skating is like because this place was so crowded you could barely move at times. There was no room for speed.)

Then last night for family home evening, the singles ward served hot chocolate and sung Christmas Carols during the lighting of the Lincoln Center Christmas Tree right across the street. It was actually quite fun and we grew crowds at times. Alan Alda (one of the characters from MASH for those who don’t know him) even stopped and listened to one of our tunes. Hopefully we did some good missionary work.
Then to top it off, I will be attending “How the Grinch Stole Christmas, the Musical” and the “Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectactular.” I will keep you updated on how those are in the weeks to come. What a great time to be in the City!

2 comments:

Christina Bond said...

Man, you just don't stop (well I guess you can't in New York because you'd get run over). I bet the decorations are amazing. It looks like you can't help but be in the Christmas spirit there.

The Risdons said...

Your life looks so exciting.I'm jealous of all the cool experiences you are having.

 
Jason's Happenings - by Templates para novo blogger